Ab workouts for a stronger core
Want to build a stronger core? Try these ab workouts which have been tried and tested by personal trainers!
When it comes to training abs, it's common for people to focus on training this body part because they want to achieve a six pack or get defined abs. If that's your goal, training your abs can help make them stronger but it doesn't necessarily mean you will automatically get defined abs. Getting defined abs requires a low body fat percentage which will be different from person to person, so a full-body training approach along with a healthy balanced diet is recommended.
Whilst having aesthetic goals is fine, let's not forget that there are many functional benefits that comes with training your core. This includes maintaining correct posture, helping to reduce strain on your back and improving your functional performance so including some ab exercises as part of your overall fitness routine, can help you develop a stronger core and reap aforementioned benefits.
AB MAT WORKOUT BY @KAYPUREGYM, PUREGYM INSIDER
- Cat cow (warm up) -10 reps
- Deadbugs - 3 sets of 5 reps each side
- High Plank, toes in and out
- Bird dog - 3 sets of 5 reps each side
- Leg raise holding a plate 3 sets of 20-30 seconds
Rest for 20-30 seconds in-between each set.
Anywhere Ab Workout by Lara, PT at PureGym Brighton Central
- Bicycle crunch 20 reps
- Full sit up 10 reps
- Opposite arm and leg out (need to check name) 20 reps
- Side plank (up and down) 10 reps each side
- High Plank knee tap 10 reps
- High Plank shoulder tap 10 reps
Repeat 2-4 times.
Partner ab workout
- Inchworm hand claps 10 reps
- High 5 sit ups 10 reps
- Partner bicycles crunches 20 reps
- Double Russian twists with medicine ball 10 reps
- Wheel barrows 30 seconds.
Perform each exercise back-to-back. Repeat 2 to 4 times.
If you're not sure how to perform any of the exercises above, please ask a personal trainer for guidance.
For more ab workout ideas, check out our free workouts.