Easy Shakes for Every Purpose
In recent years, the health shake phenomenon has taken the world by storm. And there’s good reason for that. Whether you need a quick liquid breakfast before running out the door to a morning class, or a low-impact detox solution on Monday morning, there’s always a good shake at hand to answer the call.
Here’s a look at some quick, easy shake recipes for everyday occasions.
Hunger-Vanquishing Breakfast Shake
It’s been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and studies have found that a protein-rich breakfast increases feelings of satiety and prevents unhealthy snacking throughout the day, potentially aiding weight loss.
A good breakfast shake should be filling, satisfying, and protein and calorie dense. Try this one on for size:
- 2 (28g) scoops flavoured whey protein powder (I’d recommend chocolate, but do whatever feels right) – 40g protein / 5g carbohydrate / 0g fat / 200 calories
- 2 large eggs – 12g protein / 1.2g carbohydrate / 10g fat / 156 calories
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter – 12g protein / 9g carbohydrate / 24g fat / 282 calories
Total: 64g protein / 15.2g carbohydrate / 34g fat / 638 calories
With this shake, you’ll not only get a large hunger-vanquishing dose of protein within minutes of getting out of bed, but you’ll also be getting a dose of healthy fats to allow for a steady release of energy as you greet the day.
Lightning-in-a-Health-Smoothie Pre-Workout Shake
You know all those pre-workout supplements which make you feel like a Greek god riding out to battle? Know what the key ingredient is in most of those? Sugar and caffeine. Usually far too much of both, and in an unhealthy form.
Drink this about an hour before your workout for a healthy turbo-charged session instead:
- 2 large bananas – 3g protein / 62g carbohydrate / 0.8g fat / 242 calories
- 1 large pear – 0.8g protein / 35g carbohydrate / 0.3g fat / 131 calories
- 1 scoop flavoured whey protein powder – 20g protein / 2.5g carbohydrate / 0g fat / 100 calories
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
Total: 23.8g protein / 99.5g carbohydrate / 1.1g fat / 473 calories
The key here is the healthy fast-absorbing sugars provided by the fruit, along with the caffeine from the instant coffee to provide a great energy spike when you need it most. In the meantime, the protein helps keep distracting hunger cravings at bay.
Berry Salvation Detox Shake
It’s no secret that weekends can end up taking a toll. What seems like the best moment of your life on Friday night can easily lead to the kind of hangover which can punish you all the way to Monday morning.
What you need in those situations is a detox shake, and what that calls for is lots of berries:
- 1 cup of blueberries – 1.1g protein / 21g carbohydrate / 0.5g fat / 85 calories
- 1 cup of raspberries – 1.5g protein / 15 carbohydrate / 0.8g / 65 calories
- 1 cup of strawberries – 1g protein / 11g carbohydrate / 0.4g fat / 47 calories
- ¼ cup of dried goji berries – 3.9g protein / 19g carbohydrate / 0.49g fat / 88 calories
Total: 7.5g protein / 66g carbohydrate / 2.19g fat / 285 calories
The key to this shake isn’t really its macronutrient balance at all, rather, it’s what’s going on with the micronutrients. Berries all rank extremely highly on the USDA “ORAC” (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Chart), meaning they effectively fight free radicals and promote effective organ detox.