Kentucky Fried Style Jackfruit Recipe
Whether you’re vegetarian or not, this Kentucky friend jackfruit recipe is great to tuck in with friends and family. It’s crispy and tender – the perfect combo to pair with your favourite dipping sauce. Plus, jackfruit is packed with nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C and it’s rich in dietary fibre so if you're wanting to strike the balance between indulging in a treat and eating healthier, this is the perfect dish to make.
If you’ve never tried jackfruit before many people associate the taste with pulled pork and it can be a great vegan meat substitute.
1 x 565g tin young green jackfruit in brine
Fry Light x 20 sprays
Handful of chopped parsley
For the KFC coating:
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried mustard
For the batter:
60g plain flour, plus extra for coating
250ml unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit, then slice each piece into bite-sized chunks.
- Add the sliced jackfruit into a mixing bowl along with all the ingredients for the spicy KFC coating and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer the jackfruit to the lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, turning the jackfruit pieces halfway through.
- Meanwhile, whisk the batter ingredients in a separate mixing bowl until smooth and runny, and set to one side.
- Put a couple of spoons of plain flour on to a separate plate and set to one side.
- Dip the jackfruit pieces in the batter. Cover the jackfruit with flour and place on a lined baking tray and put back in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Take the jackfruit out of the oven once golden and crispy.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped parsley and a side of your favourite dipping sauce
119 calories per portion