Follow these tips for losing weight for your wedding
Do you want to tone up and lose weight before your big day?
Exercise is one of the best ways to eliminate stress before your wedding, and a pre-wedding workout routine will give you the bonus of feeling special on your big day.
Follow these tips for losing weight for your wedding.
- Burn more calories than you eat. To lose weight, you need to consume less calories than you use. Check out our guide on calories for weight loss here.
- Increase your protein intake. Aim for protein in every main meal whether that's meat, fish, or vegan alternatives like beans and chickpeas. Protein helps to keep you full for longer, and prevent your body from burning muscle when in a calorie deficit.
- Workout with a buddy. Struggling to stay on top of your workouts? Bring a friend or family member - it can make your workouts more fun, and keep you motivated when you really aren't feeling it.
- Move more every day. Park further away in the car park, take stairs instead of the lift, go for 15-20 min walks... When it comes to moving your body, every little helps!
- Enjoy the process. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to look a certain way, enjoy the journey and work on loving your body at all stages. This helps to remove the pressure of looking a certain way on your wedding, and also helps to improve body confidence.
- Drink 3 litres of water a day. Start with 2 litres and go from there.
- Find your 'why'. Don't pick a goal like, "I want to lose a stone." Write down why you want to lose weight. Once you add an emotional attachment to your goal, it holds more meaning, so you are more likely to stick to it.
How de-stress before your wedding
Your mental health is hugely important, especially since planning a wedding is one of the most stressful times in our lives. Diet and exercise play a part, but there are other ways to manage stress and improve your overall wellbeing.
- The health benefits of sleep
A good night's sleep (about 7 hours) is vital to our emotional and physical health.
Sleep won't make you lose weight, but it helps to keep your food cravings under control. Regular sleep will balance the hormones that affect appetite.
When we sleep, our bodies produce extra protein molecules that help us to fight off infections and illness – nobody wants to be ill for their wedding.
Lack of sleep makes us agitated and more likely to be a grump. The more rest we get, the calmer we are.
- The importance of taking time out for yourself
Among the wedding chaos, it might be hard to find peace. Create a small sanctuary for yourself by reading, taking a solo walk or get stuck into a movie marathon. It's okay to give your mind a rest, don't feel guilty about it.
- Cut down on caffeine
It's natural to reach for a cup coffee for a quick pick-me-up. Caffeine is a stimulant that gives you a jolt almost immediately and stays in your body for hours afterwards. Drink too much caffeine, and you're at risk of insomnia, anxiety, irritability, headaches, nervousness and rapid heartbeat.
Running up to your wedding, replace one cup of coffee for a glass of water. You'll feel healthier, hydrated and your skin will thank you for it.
Thanks to PureGym insiders and Personal Trainers, Sky and Marni for their guidance for this post.