Peri-Peri Chicken Burger Recipe
We’re obsessed with Peri-Peri, and it seems you are too! Today, we’re making one of our most highly requested recipes, a Nando’s style chicken burger that you can make at home.
A tasty chicken burger, marinated in spicy peri-peri sauce and stacked up in a ciabatta roll with salad and a dollop of peri-peri mayonnaise.
The trick is to tenderise your burgers before marinading, which helps lean cuts of meat to taste richer and juicier. It also increases the surface area, so more of your chicken gets coated in the spicy peri-peri marinade!
When it comes to the marinade – the longer the better! Leave your chicken burger to marinade or an hour or two if you can really enhance the flavour. But, if you’re in a pinch for time a 5-minute marinade will still taste great.
Still need convincing to try our peri-peri chicken burger this week? It’s packed with 51g of protein and is a great option for a post-workout meal to help with muscle repair and recovery.
Prep time: 15 mins (+ optional additional marinade time)
Cook time: 10 mins
For the peri-peri chicken burger you will need:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp peri-peri sauce
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomato slices
- 2 small ciabatta rolls, sliced
- Low-calorie oil spray
For peri-peri mayonnaise you will need:
- 30g light mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp peri-peri sauce
- Cover your chicken breasts with cling film or baking paper and flatten with a rolling pin or meat tenderiser until 1cm thick.
- Add flattened chicken breasts to a bowl and coat in 2 tbsp of the peri-peri sauce.
- Leave chicken breasts to marinade for at least 5 minutes, or longer if you have time while you make the burger sauce.
- Mix the peri-peri mayonnaise together using the light mayonnaise and peri-peri sauce. Once combined, cover the sauce with clingfilm and pop into the fridge while you cook your chicken.
- Once your chicken breasts have finished marinating, heat a frying pan to a medium heat and spray generously with low-calorie oil spray. Cook chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes on each side, until fully cooked through
- Toast your ciabatta rolls and then stack them with peri-peri mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and peri-peri chicken.
Tasty tip: For the ultimate Nando’s style feast, serve our chicken burger with sweetcorn and some homemade peri spiced sweet potato wedges.